It’s that time of year when we look to our kitchen to help us beat the heat with fresh flavors and delicious dishes! Farmers markets abound with colorful fruits and veggies, and our grills are ready for action. It’s the perfect time to experiment and take your plant-based diet to the next level!
We asked our chefs what their favorite fundamental flavors are for summer, and the results tended towards sweet and green. Check out their top 5 staples, and a recipe for corn salad that could complete any meal!
- Salad is always a fail-proof for summer. Top a big bowl of arugula or romaine with fresh toppings from your garden or farmer’s market, such as snap peas, peppers, or basil. Thrown in a handful of roasted chickpeas for extra crunch! As Chef Inge Bothma, our Lead Chef Instructor, says, “Nothing cools and nourishes quite a like a big bowl of crunchy leafy greens…Dinner done, without the sweat!”
- Brew a pitcher of iced tea to go alongside your meals. Our chefs recommend hibiscus mint tea, with a slightly tart taste that compliments any dessert.
- Water infusions have gained attention this year for their hydration and health benefits. Celebrate the summer with an infusion combination of watermelon and cucumber to keep you cool!
- Avocado can be included in salads, sandwiches, or even smoothies throughout your summer. Chef Rae Coleman loves to grill her avocado, best done after drizzling with lime juice and olive oil for a tasty treat.
- What could be better than corn in the summer? Steam it, grill it, or cut it off the cob raw, it is the perfect addition to any dish! Chef Charlotte Jernigan, who specializes in Ayurveda, likes to make a sweet corn salad with a South Asian twist using Vietnamese corriander and rice vinegar. See the recipe here.