Heading into winter and the holiday season, a little detoxifying cleanse is a great way to clear the slate. You don’t have to starve yourself to eliminate those toxins before the holidays begin, just make wise menu decisions by losing the sugar, eating nutrient dense foods, fiber-rich vegetables and drink plenty of water.
Here’s a wonderful recipe we ran across that will surely get you on the right track.
- 1 pound dandelion greens, stems removed and discarded
- 1 small head chicory, outer ribs discarded and remainder torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small head radicchio, leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium Belgian endive, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 2 medium stalks celery, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves
- 1 or 2 small garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a bowl, combine dandelion greens, chicory, radicchio, endive, spinach, parsley, carrots and celery. Toss to mix.
- In a small jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine olive oil, lemon juice, basil, garlic, ginger and cayenne. Shake vigorously to blend well. Season with sea salt and white pepper.
- Just before serving, toss greens with just enough dressing to lightly coat leaves.